Monday, June 25, 2012

Butterick 4790, The Walkaway Dress

After a quick look through Google images, I was surprised to see just how popular this dress is!  Makaela saw the pattern and immediately loved it.  She and I thought initially it would be a good first project for her -- but that went by the wayside pretty quickly.

So I finished it for her.  I will say this -- the closures are a pain to get lined up properly and hand sewn.  I used 3 oversized snaps and 3 hooks & eyes in the front, and another hook & eye in the back.  But the rest is a breeze.  I lined the whole thing, and bound the hem in bias tape as well as the sides (which the pattern calls for).  We also flared the skirt of the sheath, and were pleasantly surprised when it gave the skirt some oomph without having to have a petticoat.

It turned out beautifully.  She is much happier about it than she appears in these photos!

1 comment:

That'll be two cents for your opinion please. : )