Friday, May 28, 2010

PB Envy and Sewing Room Update

Remember how I told you I've just moved?  There's a wonderful thing that happens when you move.  Companies begin to send you all sorts of things in the mail to welcome you to your new home.  Like Pottery Barn, and West Elm.

I am drooling over these things.  Somebody hand me a napkin.  Seriously.


I have a dining room table that is slated to go on the screened-in porch.  I may have to paint it a matte white and distress it a little on the edges.  Actually, the table I have is amazingly close to the design of this one.  See?



I got mine at Sam's Club about 20 years ago.  It's seen some better days, but it still has a nice profile.



And I'll put these little recycled-glass lanterns from West Elm on it.



My house is decorated in such a way as to fool me into thinking I'm on vacation all the time.  So -- LOTS of seashells.  I love these pillow covers because they're beaded AND they're seashells AND they're in that wonderful natural muslin colour.



OK, how genius is this?  They've made a chandelier out of canning jars and light bulbs.  This would be incredibly easy to do, and is absolutely gorgeous.  And green!



And I think I could work and sew and generally be a genius right here.  I am absolutely certain there would be amazing things just cascading out of my brain.

Maybe I'll just move into a Pottery Barn store and live there.  My second home will be the West Elm store.  

Of course, that would mean I'd have to move again, so maybe not.  

There was another brief re-org of the sewing studio today, and here's the result:



I used to have a worktable, made of an old oak door that came from our very first house.  It sits on sawhorses that a friend made for me so the table would be the right height for a worktable.

I have moved that oak door -- that 100+ lb. oak door -- from Indiana to California to North Carolina.  And yesterday, when I had a look at the half-a-garage-full of junk that is going into a yard sale tomorrow --

(I actually MOVED all that junk?  Seriously?  Why is it we always do this AFTER we've moved all this stuff)

-- I decided it was time to call a halt.  What the heck have I been thinking?  No more 100+ lb. oak door/table.  If I can't move the thing by myself, then I need a new table.

Almost by mistake, I found a hollow-core door out on the back porch.  We also have moved it from Indiana to California to NC.  But it weighs about 10 lbs.  It's been Hunk-O-Man's garage worktable.




So I tore off the gingham cover I had used on the oak door.  Because I don't want to buy quilt batting, I found an old blanket that was going to go into the yard sale.  I grabbed it for a nice batting-ish cushion under the gingham cover.  By Monday I plan to staple-gun it all onto the door.  The sawhorses have been living outside, so I'm going to paint them.  Already got the paint, just need to do it.

So by the first of next week, I should be up and going with a couple of new video tutorials.  I feel like I'll have an actual studio!  Woo-hoo!

Till then -- 

xoxoxox





No comments:

Post a Comment

That'll be two cents for your opinion please. : )