Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fail.

OK, I hate to admit this.  But I hate it even more when it happens.

Fail.  Fail, fail, fail.  The last 3 things I've made were failures.  They were all dresses.  One was a simple tubular maxi-dress for Mia that is too full and too short -- and the fabric was a NIGHTMARE with which to work.  It was one of those "I'll just throw this together" things that should have easily worked.  It did not.

The second was a vintage Vogue that has pintucks, which I had to tear out and redo, and then it didn't fit because I didn't try it on before I got into it (I did check the measurement on the pattern, but there you go -- always make a muslin!).  It may end up fitting one of the girls, possibly Emma.  It remains a question as to whether she'd wear it.  It's not really her style.

The last dress had gaping armholes, which I fixed after taking the entire bodice apart, lining and all and taking it in.  I compared it to the armholes on a sundress I already have and copied that.  But the thing just looks (if you'll excuse the expression) like crap!  And after probably 20 hours of sewing!  It's the pattern.  I just can't pull off box pleats under an empire waistline.

Sigh.  Sometimes it just goes in waves like this.  My body has changed dramatically from the days when I'd just make a size 10 and it always fit.  I don't have the patience to make a muslin -- except why not when it takes me at least that long when it doesn't fit?  Arghhh!  Ack!  The frustration of it all!

I say to myself often, "I don't want to fight the world today."  I don't want to fight my sewing room either, since it's supposed to be fun.  I just want to make a simple sundress for myself THAT FITS.

I'm going to give it another try today.  Here is why:  there was one success amid the failures.  It was shortening a thrifted denim skirt.  I made a bias binding out of the leftovers, and sewed that onto the hem.  It turned out nicely.  I am wearing it right now.

I don't know if I can salvage the last sundress, on which I worked until about 2AM, but I am going to try and keep the skirt.  If not, well, we all know what Scarlett said --

"Tomorrow is another day."

xoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment

That'll be two cents for your opinion please. : )